Monday, June 9, 2008

Goodbye VSO

Five months has whizzed by, and having completed my second and final accountability survey and report I said goodbye to VSO Ghana last Friday. In terms of what I’ve been able to accomplish, I think like most people in this field of work, and certainly like the other VSOs in Ghana, I wish I could have done more. Perhaps it was the intangibility of the work that I’ve been doing: conducting surveys and writing reports about NGO accountability doesn’t exactly lend itself to immediate results. In some ways it was about the pace: in a culture that emphasizes process over results I found myself with too many slow days. Or maybe it was the nature of the work itself: accountability doesn’t scream of development urgency the way education or food security do. Yet I believe that the work I accomplished was important and hopefully in time the results will bear themselves. Again, in retrospect I’m sure things will become clearer, but on a personal level, I know the lessons I learnt from this experience will be useful for the next.

Thus with work out of the way it’s once again time to set sail for the open African road. My girlfriend Emma arrives on Wednesday (!!!!!!!!!!!), and along with Ghana we plan on visiting Burkina Faso (where???) and perhaps one other French-speaking West African country. As well as trying to fool her into partaking in weird initiation rites- and fraudulent tribal ceremonies- I’m really excited to be a part of her first experience on the African continent. So that’s that. Goodbye to VSO Ghana and hello (or bonjour) to some of what else West Africa has to offer. From the road…

10 comments:

Jaco Beach said...

Africa ! When I hear a bob marley tune, for some reason I feel transported into the black continent without having been there ever.

Ellen said...

Hello,
We have a blog about travel, and we would like to invite you to visit us and you can find to translate on the right side of the page.
Thank you very much, and we hope you enjoy.

www.viagemafora.blogspot.com

best regards
Antonio & Ellen

the destination india said...

very informative content.

budget accommodation said...

Thanks for sharing you adventures. I hope you can write more.

Bluegreen Kirk said...

Thanks for sharing a part of your life with all of us. Africa is a wonderful place. my wife is from Ethiopia and one of my closet friends is from Ghana.

Rajasthan Tours Operator said...

very good nice work

Rajasthan Tours said...

Excellent blog and Great post information

internet marketing belgium said...

hay nice post very good but why you always say godbuy to all places really a nice one

Mumbai Tourism said...

I would like to read more from your side.

Unknown said...


Admin, if not okay please remove!

Our facebook group “selfless” is spending this month spreading awareness on prostate cancer & research with a custom t-shirt design. Purchase proceeds will go to cancer.org, as listed on the shirt and shirt design.

www.teespring.com/prostate-cancer-research

Thanks